Garmin or Phone with Strava app or ???

• 14 Apr 2018 12:54 PM
    Message # 6099142
    Gary Martindale (Administrator)

What are you using to track your rides and give you info while riding?

If Garmin - what model do you suggest? Other suggested brands and models?

If Phone - are you using Strava? How are you mounting phone to see speed, etc?

Or are you using something else?

Last modified: 14 Apr 2018 1:06 PM | Gary Martindale (Administrator)
  • 17 Apr 2018 1:20 PM
    Reply # 6107694 on 6099142
    After each ride I go back with one of them wheel things that measures distance as you push it and figure out how far I went.  Just kidding.  I use the Garmin edge 520.  I found it tracks more accurately that my old Fitbit did, and the Fitbit was more accurate than my phone.  I ran them all at the same time to compare and the phone had me riding threw peoples yards.  The Fitbit was better but still not as smooth a line as the Garmin.  I have however noticed that riding on a small area like a velodrome, the tracking will be all segmented no matter what I use.  Things I like about the Garmin are that I can manipulate what is shown on the screens.  Another nice thing is the sensors, they are single piece so you don't have to have a magnet and a pickup sensor.  The speed sensor wraps around the hub and the cadence straps around the crank arm.  For long rides you can attach a portable phone charger to the bike somewhere and run a cable to the back side of the Garmin so you have all day power.  The 520 is not touch screen but once you learn the buttons it is easy to manipulate what you want to see on the screen.  Can be set up with crash detection which will send a message to a preset person if you are in an accident.  It actually sent my wife a message when I had a blow out on a ride.  It does give you a chance to cancel the message before it is sent in case you are ok.  I let it go because I wanted to see if it really worked.  Comes with three mounts including an out front mount so you can switch it between bikes easily.  Can be hooked up to many things other than speed and cadence like, hr, head light, tail light, rear radar light, electronic shifting, Garmin action cameras, interactive trainers, power meters, and i am sure there are others.  Can see who is calling you and read text messages.  Detailed maps do not come on the 520, you can see major roads like 65, 69, 70, 465, but you can download a free detailed map and load it onto the computer.  They are regional so if you are going on a destination ride you can download a map for that area and replace the one for your home region.  You can also download Strava segments, without paying for a premium Strava account, to the computer if you want to know where segments start and end and if you are close to the time you want to beat.  Ok i rambled on long enough.  I think I am going to go back to measuring my rides post ride and ditch this terrible computer.  Best of luck.
  • 18 Apr 2018 7:46 AM
    Reply # 6108903 on 6099142
    Gary Martindale (Administrator)

Thanks Daryl... very helpful!

• 21 Apr 2018 11:24 PM
    Reply # 6114052 on 6099142

Thanks, Gary, for asking the question and Daryl for such a thorough answer!  I’m considering the Garmin 520 and the 820...but was also looking at the Wahoo.  This was helpful!  

Right now I just use Strava in my phone—-for the most part it works well tho I doubt it’s as accurate as a bike computer.  Like the auto message if you crash!

Great info!

Anne

Cure Chasers Cycling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
9994 East Edgewood Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46239